Friday, June 26, 2009

It's about time...

So I've been talking about staring to blog for such a long time that no one believes me anymore. Ha!

In the coming weeks and months I hope to make up for lost time by blogging about some of the topics that
cause me to burn with frustration, grind my teeth with irritation and sigh with pleasure (chocolate and natural swirled Fraiche frozen yogurt topped with shaved bittersweet chocolate, slivered almonds and fresh strawberries).

Maybe you'll remember me from my days as a columnist at the Palo Alto Weekly while my kids were still in diapers,
or from the San Jose Mercury News where I wrote on family, community and local issues in the 90s and early 2000. 

Nowadays my kids are both in their early 20's, but still providing lots of writing material. Maybe you'll hear about how in a recent rescue mission, I flew to L.A. where my heartbroken daughter needed "Mommy 911." Our recent trek to "American Idol" auditions, fighting the urge to practice "competitive yoga," our aging yellow labrador, my 92 year-old father-in-law and his blogs -- all are fair game for future postings, as is the latest battle I had with my son, unemployed this summer and driving me crazy one day, charming me with his wit, humor and big plans for the future the next.  

Now that I am in what most consider the second half of life (not sure about that), I figure writing is as good therapy as any counseling service. Maybe you'll join me. Or maybe this will be a solitary journey, part of figuring out how to be alone but not lonely, as my kids grow up and live their own lives elsewhere. 

Hope to hear from you, and look forward to sharing the journey.

Mel.

No comments:

Post a Comment